Godzilla Destroys the Marvel Universe #1-5
Godzilla Destroys the Marvel Universe #1-5
Originally released in 2025
Written by Gerry Duggan
Art by Javier Garron et al.
I'm aware of comics like The Punisher Kills The Marvel Universe and Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe, but the basic premise doesn't interest me. I generally like Marvel's characters, and I don't want to see them get violently slaughtered. There are two cases where I'm willing to make an exception - The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up The Marvel Universe and this. (It helps that the person fighting the Marvel Universe in these cases isn't fighting lethally)
While expanding his subterranean empire, the Mole Man has the absolutely terrible luck of awakening both a Celestial and Godzilla. Celestials are godlike space giants, and yet the narrator (who largely exists to be Godzilla's hype man) makes it clear that they're no match for Godzilla.
One thing I find hilarious about Godzilla's characterization is that seemingly any time he sees someone or something as tall as him or taller, whether it's another giant monster or just a tall building, he's going to defeat or destroy it seemingly to prove his superiority, and that absolutely holds true here.
The series has a tone that's on the lighter side; no characters feel like they're at risk of dying, and while Godzilla is portrayed as being overpowered (able to ignore Pym Particles and snap the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak with zero explanation), there's enough sci-fi and fantasy nonsense in Marvel that it still feels like the heroes can win.
Being sent into other dimensions doesn't stop Godzilla, though, as it doesn't take long for him to anger a wizard.
Dormammu believes that Godzilla is a messenger from Doctor Strange, and Godzilla's "message" is quick and gets right to the point.
Dormammu drops Godzilla off in Madripoor, where he gets the attention of the X-Men. This is largely an excuse for an extended fight scene where a quintet of cards from a casino's sign are supercharged by Gambit to be thrown at Godzilla by the assorted X-Men.
Professor X can't directly communicate with Godzilla, as Godzilla's mind is filled with rage and focused on destruction, but he's able to send a challenge from the. Black Panther, who has been preparing for this. (It's stated that they fought Godzilla before, so the 70s comics are seemingly still canon) To buy them more time, Bruce Banner is brought in and injects himself with Pym Particles, leading to a giant version of the Hulk fighting Godzilla.
Godzilla's SKREEONKs aren't translated, but I can only assume that the intent in the above picture is something like "oh yeah?" or "bring it!"
This does not go well for the Hulk; him feeling fear here feels a little out of character, though given how the Hulk has changed over the years, and how many variations there are in Bruce's psyche, I'm sure it's justified. To my surprise, there's another Toho monster that makes a cameo, as Namor arrives with Ebirah, the Horror of the Deep.
Ebirah is taken out quickly, but it and the giant Hulk were enough of a distraction for the Black Panther's plan to be put into action - a giant robot powered by various superheroes.
Throughout all of this, Reed, Sue, Ben, and Captain America have been trapped in the Negative Zone after an attempt at sending Godzilla there went wrong. They received a message from the 2099 version of Johnny Storm (from a future where they never escaped), and I guess that message helped them to escape because they get out of the Negative Zone pretty casually before Reed comes up with a plan to send Godzilla to a lifeless solar system in deep space.
In the aftermath, Bruce points out how familiar that plan seems. However, it turns out that Reed and company hadn't finished listening to 2099 Johnny's message, as it comes with another warning:
This series was a fun read that went by pretty quickly. I don't know how long these comics are going to stay on Marvel Unlimited, so with licensing being what it is (there was a recent Avengers run, Savage Avengers, which included Conan the Barbarian and as a result is no longer on there), I figured I should read this series, at least. It really captured the spirit of the Godzilla movies, or at least the ones that I've seen, and I could tell that the creators were having a blast coming up with all sorts of scenarios to pit Marvel's heroes and villains against Godzilla.














Comments
Post a Comment